With Genially, you can insert videos you’ve got stored in Google Drive into your creations, in such a way that your audience can view them without needing to open a new browser tab.
In this tutorial, we explain how to insert a video from Google Drive in your genially. We’ll look at 2 ways to display your video:
- Insert a video on the canvas so that it’s displayed on a page of your genially.
- From your Google Drive account
- Using an embed code
- Insert a video so that it’s displayed in an interactive window.
Insert a video on the canvas so that it’s displayed on a page of your genially
From your Google Drive account
This is the easiest option. You’ll have your video inserted in just a few clicks.
1. Open the 'Insert' section which is located in the left sidebar of the Editor in Genially.
2. Click on the 'Video' tab.
3. Now click on the 'Google Drive' icon and a pop-up window will open so you can log in to the Google account where the video is stored.
4. The next step is to grant Genially access to your Google Drive account to be able to see the contents of your Drive in Genially. Click on 'Accept'.
5. In the Editor, a pop-up window will open where you’ll see all the videos that you have stored in your Google Drive account. Choose the video you want to display and then click on 'Add'.
6. All set! Your video will now appear on the canvas. You can place it wherever you like on the page, and change its size by clicking on the corners and dragging the mouse in whichever direction you want.
Using an embed code
To use this method, first you need to edit the privacy settings of your video so that it’s visible to anyone who has the link. Then you need to find and copy the embed code and finally paste this code in your genially. Let’s look at this process step by step.
1. Log in to your Google Drive.
2. Locate your video and right-click on it. Select the Share option.
3. In the window that appears, click on 'Change'.
4. Click on the arrow that appears on the left to display the privacy options and select 'Anyone with the link'.
5. Click on 'Done' to save changes.
6. Now we’re going to obtain the embed code for your video. Right-click on the video again and this time select 'Preview'.
7. In the preview, open the dropdown menu from the 3 dots in the top right-hand corner and select the option 'Open in a new window'.
8. In the new window that opens, open the menu by clicking on the 3 dots in the top right-hand corner again.
9. Click on 'Insert element...'.
10. Select and copy the code.
All set! You’ve got the code. Now let’s insert it in your genially.
11. Open the Insert section in the left sidebar of the Editor in Genially.
12. Click on the 'Others' tab and paste the embed code in the box you see. Validate it by clicking on the 'Insert' button.
13. Once the video appears on the canvas, you can place it on any part of the page that you want or change its size by clicking on the corners and dragging the mouse in whichever direction you like, or by editing the dimensions from Designer mode.
Insert a video so that it’s displayed in an interactive window
You can also display your video in a window that opens when the viewer clicks on an interactive element. To do this:
1. Select the element you want to make interactive and click on the interactivity icon that appears above it.
2. Select the 'Window' option.
3. Click on the 'Code view' button in the top toolbar (the </> symbol).
4. Paste the video’s embed code that you obtained by following the steps in the previous section.
5. Click on the 'Code view' button again and save the changes. Done!
TIP: You can change the video’s dimensions from Code view by modifying the values after width and height.