An interactive map is a great format for communicating information or explaining a topic related to a geographical location, such as the climate in a specific area, economic demographic data of cities or countries, etc.
With an interactive map you’ll capture the attention of your audience and they’ll be able to interact with your content. It also makes the information easier to understand.
Creating an interactive map in Genially is very easy. First choose your map, then place the interactive elements on it, and finally add the information you want to show your audience. We’ll tell you the process, step by step:
- Choose a template
- Edit the template’s resources
- Share your creation
Choose a template
Explore the different templates you can use as a base to create your interactive map. To find them:
- Go to your main Panel and click on Create genially
- In the search bar, enter a keyword such as map or world map for example.
- Choose the template you like best
Edit the template’s resources
In this tutorial we’ll use a world map template. If you need another kind of map, you can replace the one in the template. Within Genially’s resources you’ll find a specific section for maps with world maps in different styles and continent maps. To find another kind of map:
- Click on the map in the template and then on the Replace button that appears above it on the right.
- Select the Maps option and explore the available options. you can also enter keywords in the search bar.
- Select the map you want to use and click Replace.
- Personalize your map however you like: you can change the color, size, and its position on the canvas.
TIP: You can also upload your own map in image format (JPG, PNG) using the Image section of the Editor.
2. Interactive elements
The next step is to add interactivity to your map. In the Editor, you’ll find a section of interactive elements which are very effective at visually representing the content they lead to.
The template we’re using already includes some interactive elements. You can:
- Replace: if you want to use another kind of interactive element, click on it and then click on the Replace button that appears above it.
- Add new interactive elements: you can explore the Interactive elements section to see other types of available elements: buttons, buttons with text, social networks, numbers and letters, and invisible areas. Click on the element you want to use and place it where you want it on the map. You can also use any other resource of your choice.
- Delete: if there’s an element on the canvas that you don’t need, select it and press Delete on your keyboard or the Delete button in the top toolbar of the Editor.
3. Apply interactivity
Now that you’ve chosen the interactive elements you’d like to use, all you need to do is apply the interactivity. You can add all kinds of content for it to display when your audience interacts with the elements: images, texts, videos, audios, GIFs, etc.
You can add audio to an element or resource so that it plays when you click on it. You can also make it so that some images and resources can be expanded to full-screen size when viewing your genially.
You can take your audience to another page of your creation or an external website. Discover the types of interactivity that exist and how to use them.
At the top of the template, you’ll see two text boxes which you can use to give your map a title and description. You can also add more text boxes, or delete them, according to your needs. We invite you to check out this tutorial to learn how to personalize your text boxes.
Share your creation
First, publish your creation and then share the link with your audience so that everyone can enjoy your genially.
You can also insert your creation in a website or blog.
Lastly, if you have a premium plan, you can download your creation in various formats:
- Interactive PDF
- JPG Image
- MP4 Video
- HTML to view offline
- SCORM, to be able to monitor your audience’s interactions with your creations in an LMS.